Glendronach makes a robust, fruity whisky, often with a citrusy and spicy character. Their releases are almost always partially, if not fully, aged in high-quality Spanish casks, making for a richly sherried core line of whiskies.
Glendronach was founded in 1826, shortly after distilling became legal in Scotland with the purchase of a license. This makes it one of the oldest legitimate distilleries in the country. It was originally owned by James Allardice and his partnership of local businessmen and farmers.
Unfortunately, the little distillery's initial life was short lived, and it burned down within a decade. It was rebuilt, then sold not long after that, and things started looking up. By the late 1800s, Glendronach whisky was in demand, being used in Teacher's blended whiskies as well as several other brands. The distillery changed owners several more times, eventually ending up in the hands of William Teachers and Sons Ltd in 1960. At this point, almost all the whisky produced at Glendronach went into their Teacher's blends, and the company doubled the number of stills from two to four to keep up with production needs.
In recent years, the distillery's fortunes have become a bit chaotic again. Glendronach was closed in 1996, acquired and reopened six years later by new owners, and then sold several more times in subsequent years. Currently, it is owned by the Benriach Distillery Company, who also run the distillery of the same name.
Glendronach was one of the last distilleries to use coal-fired heating for their stills, not converting to indirect steam heating until 2005.