Knockdhu Distillery Co.
In the early 1890s, John Morrison bought the Knock estate from the Duke of Fife. It was a prime piece of land, near plentiful barley and peat, as well as a station on a major railway line. When he discovered several sources of high-quality water on the land, the opportunity was clear. In 1893, he founded the Knockdhu distillery, and production started a year later.
Over the next century, operations at the facility proceeded somewhat inconsistently. The distillery was closed in 1931, then again during World War II (during which it was actually used to house troups from India), and one final time in 1983, changing ownership several times during the process. Following the most recent closure, operations were fired up again in 1989, and Knockdhu has been producing ever since, with one more minor setback. In 2010, heavy snowfall badly damaged two of the distillery's five warehouses. Both were demolished, but only one was rebuilt.
Over the years, the distillery has variously named its official bottlings "Knockdhu" and "An Cnoc", most recently settling on the latter, perhaps to avoid confusion with the nearby Knockando distillery. This makes it perhaps the only Scotch producer whose official whisky is not named for the actual distillery.