The Longmorn Distillery was founded in 1893 by John Duff, Charles Shirres, and George Thomson. The site was on the Rothes road where an old grain mill had been active since circa 1600. The floor maltings at Longmorn were in use until 1970, after
which they were converted to a boiler room for the distillery. The 4 wash stills were directly coal fired. This way of heating stills took a lot of monitoring and good judgment from the stillman. One of the reasons this worked for Longmorn was a reconstruction of the still house in 1974 because they doubled the number of stills from 4 to 8 and removed two spirit stills from the original still house and replaced them with two new wash stills.