Located in the heart of Scotland's Speyside region, the Balvenie distillery lies in the middle of the Conval Hills in Dufftown. The Balvenie is a sister distillery to nearby Glenfiddich, sharing the same owner, and even the same water source. The styles of the two whiskies, however, are quite different.
When built in 1892, the distillery was equipped with second-hand stills gathered from two other distilleries. While this may sound strange, given how much pride distilleries take in the exact shapes and styles of their stills, reusing equipment from shuttered or refurbished distilleries is actually not uncommon. Additional stills were eventually added, but not until about 75 years later.
Initially, spirit from The Balvenie was used exclusively in scotch blends. In fact, although the distillery was founded in the late 19th century, the first official bottling of Balvenie was not released until 1973. These official bottlings have since become remarkably successful, much loved by consumers, and winning numerous awards yearly at international spirit competitions.