Tobermory distillery is situated on the Hebridean island of Mull, Scotland in the village of Tobermory. The distillery was founded in 1798 by John Sinclair. It is the only distillery on Mull and is located at the foot of a steep hill. The Tobermory Single Malts are used in a number of blends including Scottish Leader and Black Bottle. The water for the distillery comes from a private loch near to the Mishnish lochs. Production was upgraded in 1990, with the distillery becoming capable of producing a million liters of spirit a year. It uses a traditional copper–domed cast iron mash tun, four washbacks made of Oregon pine, and four spirit stills. The whisky is matured in both former bourbon whiskey and sherry casks.